Sunday, 31 March 2013

Graham Titley - Agent Provocateur

Graham Titley was a professional informer used by the Midlands Regional Crime Squad to entrap selected people into committing crimes, for which he was very handsomely rewarded.  Titley was a low level criminal caught in possession of thousands of pounds worth of counterfeit money, so he started some horse trading with the Police.  That is, grassing people up people he knew had committed certain offences, in lieu of a reduced sentence.  This was in 1990, and around six months later, he went up in front of a judge, but a letter of recommendation was put into the judge by a high ranking officer, pleading for leniency, citing that Titley would be able to assist Police in capturing top flight criminals involved in drugs, organised crime, and even would be able to help in the fight against terrorism!!!  Despite an extensive criminal record, though not for major crime, he received 18 months and served less than half.

    When Titley was released from Prison, the Police wished to use him in an undercover operation against a major organised crime figure in the West Midlands area.  David Docker, a man in his sixties, a former active criminal in his earlier years, but now running a business selling unwanted retail stock, was targeted.  Permission was sought for the operation, citing that Docker was a big league criminal, cleverly hiding his wealth by appearing to have a modest style of living.  He was also stated to have terrorist connections.  With just these assertions, the go-ahead as given.  Titley and undercover officers attempted to persuade Docker to import a huge amount of cannabis into the country, but he thought they were not as clever as they thought they were, and tried to see if he could sting them for any money.  This fell through so a new plan was hatched using forged American Express cheques.  A CPS official gave his blessing for the Police to obtain false notes to use in the sting.  If Titley and any undercovers had to commit crimes in order for the sting to work, then they would not be prosecuted.  Docker and some of his friends went to a meet with Titley, but were swooped upon by Police.  The fake notes had been stored in a car but Docker and his friends never saw them.  They never paid Titley any money.  Docker spent a long time on remand and his trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court, it all fell apart.  Titley had been paid for other operations by Amex and Police refused to release documents the defence needed.  When eventually, they were, the detective handling Titley suffered a nervous breakdown and resigned from the force, not appearing at court.  The judge threw the case out.  Titley went on to live a nice existence courtesy of the money he received for his roles.