Sunday 23 February 2014

"I Fucking Hate Hippies"

This sentiment was uttered by rockstar Ted Nugent on a rock documentary recently, during a segment about the drug excesses of the seventies.  The Nuge stated that "Dopers don`t......" and reeled off a list of problems with drugged up musicians.  He finished it off with "I fucking hate hippies!"  It is not very often that I agree with the biggest self-praiser, but here he was spot on.  My views on the ideals of the sixties have altered dramatically on certain issues; the biggest is drugs.  What I observe is that many of the "peace and love, man" brigade, were middle and upper class people, and I wonder what their views are now.

    What I do know, is that these kind of people who advocate legalisation of drugs, simply do not want to know the ugly side of the issue.  Addiction, crime, disintegration, etc.  If it is so wonderful, then they should throw open their doors and take in the addicts.  After all, drugs are about rebellion, man.   Yes, we can see wankers like Marks & Fielding, taking in working class council estate junkies into THEIR homes, risking them stealing THEIR property and then the prospect of putting THEIR hands into THEIR pockets for money for the pushers.  Yeah right.  As if that will ever happen.  I wonder if these people will ever see pushers for what they really are; the ultimate capitalists.  One of the very things they "rebelled" against.

    One of the biggest centres we had for drugs, particularly in the sixties and seventies, was Oxford.   I have visited a lady friend there from the late 80`s to the early 90`s, and in one pub, they had on the jukebox, "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf.  The bar staff always turned it down when somebody put it on, like me, although it was an ANTI-drugs song!  Joan just told me not to complain, as Oxford was still trying to live down it`s reputation as a drugs hub. I have not been there since 1992 but I loved it down there, and I think of them as nice episodes in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment